Join our gene pool.
Therapeutics - Drug Discovery
Associate Scientist / Senior Associate Scientist, Antibody and Protein Engineering
South San Francisco, California, United States
Who We Are
23andMe, the leading consumer genetics and research company, has accumulated a wealth of genotypic and phenotypic information from participants committed to improving human health through advances in genomics. Our Therapeutics team in South San Francisco leverages this data to discover and develop new treatments that can offer significant benefits for patients with serious, unmet medical needs.
This dedicated research and drug development group identifies novel targets using 23andMe's genetic database and performs preclinical research to advance programs towards clinical development. We currently have programs across several therapeutic areas, including but not limited to oncology, respiratory, and cardiovascular diseases. More information about our Therapeutics team is available at https://therapeutics.23andme.com/.
We are seeking an outstanding Senior Associate Scientist of Antibody Engineering to contribute to the generation, characterization, and engineering of antibodies across the Therapeutics portfolio.
What You’ll Do
- Execute antibody and protein engineering to improve desired properties for therapeutic development using molecular biology approaches including rational design and mutagenesis
- Perform antibody reformatting, production, characterization and biochemical / biophysical analysis in high-throughput manner
- Support in quality control and characterization of protein reagents
- Support in the area of the large-scale antibody sequence and structural model analysis
- Collaborate with therapeutic cross-function leads to plan the strategy for antibody discovery and optimization engineering
- interpret, record and present complex biological data
- Communicate and collaborate with other colleagues effectively
What You’ll Bring
- M.S. / B.S. degree plus 5+ years of research experience or Ph.D. degree with research experience in molecular biology, protein engineering, antibody engineering, biochemistry, protein design, structural biology or related field from academia, biotechnology and/or pharma and with proven record of accomplishments and publications
- General knowledge and understanding of therapeutic antibody discovery and development
- Strong technical expertise in wide range of molecular biology and protein engineering techniques, including mutagenesis, molecular cloning, construct design, protein expression and purification (HPLC, AKTA), protein interaction characterization (ELISA, BIAcore, Octet, FACS etc.) and sequence analysis
- Strong working knowledge of protein physicochemical and biophysical properties
- Hands-on experience in mammalian and bacterial cell culture
- Excellent communication and collaboration skills with an ability to work both independently and in a team environment
- Highly organized, motivated, and self-initiated, with ability to prioritize and solve challenges
- Ability to adapt and respond to a fast-paced, dynamic environment while achieving progress with high scientific rigor and integrity
- Critical thinking with high degree of innovative and analytical skills
- Experience in protein design (rational, directed evolution or computational)
- Experience in wide range of protein modalities (antibody, soluble, membrane)
- Industry experience in antibody and protein engineering research
- Working knowledge of B cell biology and antibody biology
- Working knowledge of the bispecific antibody molecular format designs and optimization
- Working knowledge in automation or liquid handlers
- Experiences in large scale sequence informatics and bioinformatic analysis
23andMe, headquartered in Sunnyvale, CA, is a leading consumer genetics and research company. Founded in 2006, the company’s mission is to help people access, understand, and benefit from the human genome. 23andMe has pioneered direct access to genetic information as the only company with multiple FDA authorizations for genetic health risk reports. The company has created the world’s largest crowdsourced platform for genetic research, with 80 percent of its customers electing to participate. The platform also powers the 23andMe Therapeutics group, currently pursuing drug discovery programs rooted in human genetics across a spectrum of disease areas, including oncology, respiratory, and cardiovascular diseases, in addition to other therapeutic areas. More information is available at www.23andMe.com.
At 23andMe, we value a diverse, inclusive workforce and we provide equal employment opportunity for all applicants and employees. All qualified applicants for employment will be considered without regard to an individual’s race, color, sex, gender identity, gender expression, religion, age, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, physical or mental disability, medical condition, family care status, marital status, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, genetic information, military or veteran status, or any other basis protected by federal, state or local laws. If you are unable to submit your application because of incompatible assistive technology or a disability, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. 23andMe will reasonably accommodate qualified individuals with disabilities to the extent required by applicable law.
Please note: 23andMe does not accept agency resumes and we are not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes. Thank you.
23andMe takes a market-based approach to pay, and amounts will vary depending on your geographic location. The salary range reflected here is for a candidate based in the San Francisco Bay Area. The successful candidate’s starting pay will be determined based on job-related skills, experience, qualifications, work location, and market conditions. These ranges may be modified in the future.
San Francisco Bay Area Base Pay Range
Senior Associate Scientist: