Join our gene pool.
Therapeutics - Drug Discovery
Associate Scientist / Sr. Associate Scientist, Antibody and Protein Engineering
South San Francisco, California, United States
Who We Are
23andMe, the leading consumer genetics and research company, has accumulated a wealth of genotypic and phenotypic information from participants committed to improving human health through advances in genomics. Our Therapeutics team in South San Francisco leverages this data to discover and develop new treatments that can offer significant benefits for patients with serious, unmet medical needs.
This dedicated research and drug development group identifies novel targets using 23andMe's genetic database and performs preclinical research to advance programs towards clinical development. We currently have programs across several therapeutic areas, including but not limited to oncology, respiratory, and cardiovascular diseases. More information about our Therapeutics team is available at https://therapeutics.23andme.com/.
We are seeking an outstanding Associate Scientist / Senior Associate Scientist to contribute to the expression, purification, and characterization of antibodies across the Therapeutics portfolio.
What You’ll Do
- Design and generate DNA constructs for transient and stable mammalian cell expression of antibodies and proteins
- Maintain mammalian cell cultures and generate stable cell lines for antibody and protein production
- Express antibodies and proteins in mammalian, insect, and bacterial cells
- Purify antibodies and proteins using various purification techniques and perform protein analytics (HPLC, SDS-PAGE, SEC, DLS, etc.)
- Execute various automation workflows for antibody discovery, characterization, and engineering
- Independently and under supervision, plan and execute experiments, analyze, and interpret the results and provide clear communication of data in group meetings, project team meetings, and other forums
- Communicate and collaborate with other colleagues effectively
What You’ll Bring
- M.S. / B.S. degree with 2+ years of research experience in molecular biology, protein engineering, antibody engineering, structural biology, or related field OR Ph.D. degree with research experience in the same fields and with proven record of accomplishments and publications
- Proficient in DNA constructs design and construction for antibody and protein expression
- Hands-on experience in mammalian and bacterial cell culture
- Demonstrated strong experience in protein purification using AKTA
- Experience in transfection of mammalian cells (transient and stable)
- Strong technical expertise in wide range of protein expression, purification, and biophysical characterization techniques including familiarity with molecular biology and protein engineering techniques
- Excellent communication and collaboration skills with ability to work both independently and in a team environment
- Highly organized, motivated, and self-initiated, with ability to prioritize and solve challenges
- Ability to adapt and respond to a fast-paced, dynamic environment while achieving progress with high scientific rigor and integrity
- Critical thinking with high degree of innovative and analytical skills
- Industry experience in antibody and protein engineering research
- Working knowledge of protein biochemistry and antibody biology
- Working knowledge in automation or liquid handlers
- Working knowledge of protein interaction characterization (ELISA, BIAcore, Octet)
23andMe, headquartered in Sunnyvale, CA, is a leading consumer genetics and research company. Founded in 2006, the company’s mission is to help people access, understand, and benefit from the human genome. 23andMe has pioneered direct access to genetic information as the only company with multiple FDA authorizations for genetic health risk reports. The company has created the world’s largest crowdsourced platform for genetic research, with 80 percent of its customers electing to participate. The platform also powers the 23andMe Therapeutics group, currently pursuing drug discovery programs rooted in human genetics across a spectrum of disease areas, including oncology, respiratory, and cardiovascular diseases, in addition to other therapeutic areas. More information is available at www.23andMe.com.
At 23andMe, we value a diverse, inclusive workforce and we provide equal employment opportunity for all applicants and employees. All qualified applicants for employment will be considered without regard to an individual’s race, color, sex, gender identity, gender expression, religion, age, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, physical or mental disability, medical condition, family care status, marital status, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, genetic information, military or veteran status, or any other basis protected by federal, state or local laws. If you are unable to submit your application because of incompatible assistive technology or a disability, please contact us at email@example.com. 23andMe will reasonably accommodate qualified individuals with disabilities to the extent required by applicable law.
Please note: 23andMe does not accept agency resumes and we are not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes. Thank you.
23andMe takes a market-based approach to pay, and amounts will vary depending on your geographic location. The salary range reflected here is for a candidate based in the San Francisco Bay Area. The successful candidate’s starting pay will be determined based on job-related skills, experience, qualifications, work location, and market conditions. These ranges may be modified in the future.
San Francisco Bay Area Base Pay Range
$102,000 - $154,000 USD
Sr. Associate Scientist:
$115,000 - $173,000 USDBack